Young people, particularly those with ADHD, are in the earlier stages of developing their self-awareness, so they are unlikely to be aware of their strengths and advocate for themselves.
As a result, they are vulnerable to developing low self-esteem and negative thinking when they struggle with their studies. For those young people with ADHD, school has likely not been kind to them, both socially and academically.
Considering the typical ADHD student’s school experience and challenges, can you honestly blame them for “not trying harder?” By middle and high school, the typical ADHD student has experienced enough failure to buy into the comments constantly hurled at them by others and themselves:
“You are lazy and stupid”
“You obviously don’t care”
“If you only tried…”
These young individuals need to know that there is a better way. My coaching will demonstrate to them that academic success is well within their grasp. Using a unique and proven approach I have developed over years of academic coaching, my young clients develop skills in the following areas:
- Your child will discover how to use an organization system where every paper has a home
- We will develop strategies so that completed homework actually makes it to the teacher…on time!
Planning and time management
- Using an effective and specialized planner, my clients know what they need to do and how those obligations fit in with all their other commitments
- I also use this planner to help teach time management and prioritization
In-Note Taking Skills
- Cornell Notes
- Webbing, Mapping
Textbook note taking
- How to highlight text
- How to determine what is important and what isn’t
- My unique method of textbook outlining will likely mean you will never have to read a textbook chapter from cover to cover ever again and still earn A’s!
- Multiple choice
- Fill in the blank
- Short essay answer
- Memory association techniques
- Creation of effective study aids
- How to predict what will be on the test
- How to analyze a test one has earned a poor grade on to better prepare for subsequent exams
- Developing a study schedule so you are completely prepared on exam day
Overcoming Test Anxiety
- How to calm your mind so you can show what you know
- Breathing exercises to help you relax and stay focused
Avoid careless errors
- I have developed the only method I know that catches mathematical careless mistakes with near 100% accuracy
My robust educational therapy and academic coaching hybrid program leaves no stone unturned. Your child deserves to have all the tools, resources, and support necessary to achieve academic success!